Sunday 1 September 2013

Not your average fast food joint

Barbados has amazing food at every level: from street food to fine dining there are so many delicious options. These options are (not always, but usually) small, modest and sometimes hard to find. Yesterday I had a late lunch at one of my favourite places. Situated in Eagle Hall, Bridgetown is an extremely popular small bar & rotisserie amongst Bajans. It's called R.A. Mapp (Mapp's for short) and the menu is very simple: rotisserie chicken and chips. You also have the option of tossed salad, macaroni salad or coleslaw but the chicken and chips are the stars of the show and the sweetness is definitely in the sauce. If you haven't had Mapps you haven't lived. Yes, it is really that good. 

Sidenote: If you are reading this and you aren't from Barbados I just want to clear up that we call fries/french fries, chips.






So whats the process when you arrive? Well when its not busy, which is a rare occurrence, you can just walk right up to the counter and place your order. But the words "Mapp's" and "busy" go hand in hand and they have a procedure for everyone to follow. If you aren't a regular it may all seem kind of strange especially since there are no instructions as to what to do. Lucky for you I was paying close attention yesterday so now I'm an expert! 





Ordering at Mapps:
1. Take a number
2. Wait for one of the ladies working to call your number
3. When your hear your number, shout your order
4. The lady will then write down your order on a plastic bag and she or another lady will go get it
5. When your food is ready they put it in the bag and you pay 









If the wait is long like it was yesterday you can enjoy a drink or run across the street and take photos for your blog (I may or may not be be guilty of the latter). 

Mapps has taken something so simple (rotisserie chicken and chips) and perfected it. The food is always fresh, full of the amazing sauce, and generally wonderful. If you haven't had  it make an effort to go because it will not disappoint. I have not tried the salad options but I have heard rave reviews about the coleslaw. Will have to try it next time!









6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You definitely should. It is soooo good! :-)

      Delete
  2. I am loving this blog! I was searching online for pictures of Mapp's for my blog and stumbled upon this. I also have a blog featuring Barbados cuisine,culture and rants. You can check out http://rantsfromacheftender.blogspot.ca/ or https://rantsfromacheftender.jux.com/ the latter is the updated version! If possible I would like to reuse that picture for blogging purposes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can reuse the photo - just credit and link my blog right by it. Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  3. I had no clue that you responded at all! I am now seeing this Thank you very much. I will most definitely credit you and link your blog. When I did spot this I tweeted and shared the link via Facebook! I must say a few people were pleasantly surprised! Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would never believe I lived 15 secs from Mapps And never took a pic a one year ago...

    ReplyDelete