Friday 13 September 2013

How do ya like your eggs?

Hellooo beautiful readers, its Friday, Friday gotta get down on Fridaaaay. Yes, I'm quoting Rebecca Black for the sole purpose of getting that song stuck in your head, you can thank me later.
Today is a very special day and that's because its my first ever recipe post! Now, anyone who knows me knows that I am a shameless foodie and if you don't eat your food, I will (unless it has pickles). 




What I'm sharing with you today is something I tasted a few years ago and loved, and then more recently I started making my own version when I decided that it was time to start putting a bigger effort into healthy eating. My sisters request this all the time, even Shannon who could vie for the title: Pickiest Eater of All Time.

This recipe is really, really simple and it can be varied any way that you like based on what you feel for or what you have inna ya kitchen. So, without further ado, I present.. BAKED EGGS! (Stop making that face, they are actually really yummy).

Here's what you will need to serve about 3-4 people.

Ingredients:

6-8 eggs 
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1 small-medium sized onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, sliced finely
1 medium-sized tomato, diced 
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/2 sweet pepper (any colour you like), diced
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated 
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
3 slices of packaged ham, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter (for the pan)

*These measurements do not have to be exact, its really about what you like and/or what you have. Sometimes when I have left over baked chicken I'll chop up 1 or 2 pieces and add that instead of the ham. And whenever I have fresh mushrooms I throw some in as well.

Method:

Pretty oven 350 degrees F 

Chop, dice and slice your broccoli, onion, garlic, sweet pepper, tomato and ham (and anything else you want to add that needs chopping, dicing or slicing), and grate your cheese.

Melt some butter in your non-stick frying pan and add the broccoli, onions and garlic. Let this cook for about 5 minutes at a medium-high heat. At this point I add some salt and pepper to the ingredients in the pan.




Next, add the sweet pepper to the pan, mix the tomato and the tomato sauce together and add that too along with the sliced ham. 

Sprinkle the cheese on top of everything.




Now its time to add the eggs! Turn the heat to low and get a bowl. Crack the first egg in the bowl and be veryyyy careful not to break the yolk (this has no effect on taste but come on, I know you want your finished dish to be pretty). I usually add the first egg to the middle of the frying pan and the other five in a circle around it. You can do whatever you like.

When you've added all your eggs and salt and peppered them you can put your frying pan in the oven (make sure its safe to go in the oven!!) for 15 - 20 minutes.





And voila! Baked eggs!




These can be eaten at any time of the day really and they are pretty healthy too. Hope that you enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment